Working in an office typically involves spending a lot of time sitting in an office chair, this is position that adds stress to the structures in the spine. To avoid developing or compounding back problems, it's important to have an office chair that's ergonomic and that supports the lower back and promotes good posture.
What Kind of Ergonomic Office Chair is Best?
There are a lot types of ergonomic chairs available on the market. Not a single type of office chair is considered the best, but there are definitely some things that are very important to look for in a good ergonomic office chair. These things will allow the individual user to make the chair work well for his or her specific needs.
The Correct Seating Position
What Features Should a Good Ergonomic Office Chair Possess?
Comparing to the conventional office chair, there are a number of things an ergonomic chair should have.
1. Adjustability: The Height of Seats and Arms should be adjustable for all Ergonomic Chairs as a standard for comfort. In addition, an adjustable lumbar support to promote good sitting posture is also essential. Being able to adjust the angle of the seat as well as the seat back width and height will offer complete ergonomic and comfort. The Galaxy Office Chair or The Motion Mesh are great examples of chairs that have all these features.
2. Lumbar Support: Lower back support in an ergonomic chair is very important. The lumbar spine has an inward curve, and sitting for long periods without support for this curve tends to lead to slouching (which flattens the natural curve) and strains the structures in the lower spine. An ergonomic chair should have a lumbar adjustment (both height and depth) so each user can get the proper fit to support the inward curve of the lower back. Kal Mesh is our best selling Mesh Chair with Lumbar Support under $300. Gesture Mesh is our best selling Mesh Chair with Adjustable Lumbar Support under $400
3. Seat Material: The materials on the office chair seat and back should have enough padding to be comfortable to sit on for extended periods of time. Having a cloth fabric that breathes is preferable to a harder surface. Our all time best selling budget Elite Ergo Mesh at $199 comes Injection Moulded Foam.
4. Swivel: Any ergonomic chair should easily rotate so the user can reach different areas of his or her desk without straining.
5. Certification: The chair should come with BIFMA / ARFDI certification as a minimum. 3 Year Warranty on an Ergonomic Chair is a must, however 5/10 Year should be preferred to ensure the advertised features of the chair have gone through rigorous quality tests to ensure they are there to last.
Read more...Read less...